Lando Norris news: McLaren driver hails team effort after first podium of 2022

It will be interesting to see whether or not Zak Brown's men can build on Norris' result at Imola.

The McLaren team after the Imola GP. (Image: Twitter/McLaren)
By Nilavro Ghosh | Apr 25, 2022 | 2 Min Read follow icon Follow Us

McLaren driver Lando Norris was over the moon with his podium finish at the 2022 Emilia Romagna GP and he did not make any attempt to hide his jubilation. In the post-race interview, the young Brit reflected on what was an amazing weekend for him and hailed McLaren’s team spirit. The Woking-based constructor had gotten off to a difficult start in 2022. Many had predicted McLaren to be one of the stronger teams after the implementation of the new technical regulations. However, after dismal performances in the opening races of the season, the team finds itself in fourth place. It will be interesting to see whether or not Zak Brown’s men can build on Norris’ result at Imola. For Lando, however, it is time for celebration before getting back to the grind for the Miami GP.

“Amazing race, amazing weekend to be honest,” said Norris. “To beat one Red Bull and a Ferrari is much more than were expecting. I’m happy. The team deserve it. From where we were in race one to now scoring a podium, they all deserve it, so top job to the team.”

Read More – Emilia Romagna GP 2022: A crash and a spin ruin Ferrari’s homecoming as Red Bull reigns supreme

“I think today and this weekend, it wasn’t necessarily all about the car; I think a lot of it was the teamwork, the pit stop was amazing and just how we executed the weekend, which is what gave us this result. With the start, the strategy, the qualifying, judging the tyres and all of this stuff, the smaller things that you don’t get to see, it’s what got us this podium today, so it’s lovely to see. I guess fourth was still going to be an amazing position, amazing result for us and better than we were expecting coming into the race and into the weekend for sure.”

McLaren’s other driver, Daniel Ricciardo, could not come anywhere near his teammate at Imola. The Aussie finished P18 after receiving a penalty as he caused Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz to crash out on the very first lap.

Read More – Mercedes news: Toto Wolff plays down claims of rift with Lewis Hamilton

Max Verstappen’s dominant Imola triumph

As Ferrari failed to deliver on home soil, Max Verstappen won a dramatic wet-dry Emilia Romagna Grand Prix over Red Bull teammate Sergio Perez, with Charles Leclerc spinning late on to finish sixth after Carlos Sainz retired. The Dutchman won the Sprint on Saturday and led off the line on Sunday, with teammate Perez joining him at the front – while Leclerc dropped to fourth for a brief moment. On the first lap, the Safety Car was deployed after Daniel Ricciardo tipped Carlos Sainz into the gravel and forced him out of the race for the second consecutive Grand Prix.