Lando Norris aims jab at Daniel Ricciardo as McLaren continue to misfire in 2023

For the 2021 and 2022 seasons, Ricciardo and Norris were teammates at the papaya constructor and the Aussie finished behind his teammate on both occasions.

McLaren's Daniel Ricciardo and Lando Norris after their win at the Italian GP last year. (Image: Twitter)
By Nilavro Ghosh | Apr 13, 2023 | 2 Min Read follow icon Follow Us

Oscar Piastri has not had the best of starts in his Formula One career, largely thanks to McLaren’s lack of competitiveness. Naturally, the Aussie has drawn some criticisms from fans and pundits alike. Whether these criticisms were warranted or not is a different matter, but McLaren teammate Lando Norris was having none of it as he defended Piastri, and seemingly took a jab at ex-teammate Daniel Ricciardo in the process.

“[Piastri is] doing really well, honestly,” Lando Norris said as per formulaonenews.co.uk. “He handles pressure very well, I think that’s one of his strengths. He’s calm, controlled and quick, so he’s got a lot of what you need. He pushes me more compared to the competition I’ve had in recent years, which is also a good thing for us as a team,” Norris added.

For the 2021 and 2022 seasons, Ricciardo and Norris were teammates at the papaya constructor and the Aussie finished behind his teammate on both occasions. Since making his Formula 1 debut, Ricciardo has never been without a race seat, so he has returned to Red Bull as a test driver and an ambassador. McLaren, which has only scored points in one race this season, is currently ranked fifth in the Constructors’ Standings as the Papaya team struggles to get their car to perform well enough to compete for the championship.

Journalist hits out at Sergio Perez

Red Bull’s Sergio Perez has come under fire from ESPN journalist Miguel Gonzalez on Twitter for failing to pose with his son after dinner as per formula1news.co.uk. Gonzalez criticised the Mexican driver for turning down the opportunity to pose for a photo and claimed that his son sobbed as a result of the driver’s refusal. Despite the tweet receiving a lot of attention and being widely shared online, Perez has not yet responded. Formula 1 is currently taking a break after the Australian Grand Prix, where Perez finished fifth, and will resume with the Azerbaijan Grand Prix at the end of April.

“Thanks to @SChecoPerez for ignoring and turning your back on my son when you were leaving the restaurant,” Gonzalez had initially tweeted. “Incredulous, I approached you to ask if you could take a picture with him and you declined, saying that you came with your family. This time the tears you provoked were not from emotion.”

Gonzalez has since apologised and expressed regret for the venomous original tweet, but Perez has remained silent as social media continues to debate the issue. Today I have to offer a sincere apology to @SChecoPerez… I insist that he is within his rights. My reaction was wrong. Sincere apology,” he tweeted later.