Monte Carlo Masters 2022: Dominic Thiem, Matteo Berrettini withdraw from tournament

Thiem announced that he had tested negative for the virus and would undergo a medical examination before returning to action.

Austrian tennis player Dominic Thiem; Credit: Twitter/@ThiemDomi

Former US Open champion Dominic Thiem has withdrawn from next week’s ATP Masters tournament in Monte Carlo due to COVID-19, his team announced on Thursday. The 28-year-old, who finished second twice at the French Open and once at the Australian Open before winning the 2020 US Open, caught the virus last week at an ATP Challenger Tour event in Marbella, Spain. Following his withdrawal from Miami, Wimbledon finalist Matteo Berrettini will also miss Monte Carlo and subsequent Masters 1000 events in Madrid and Rome next month after undergoing a minor operation on his playing hand last week.

Thiem announced on social media on Thursday that he had tested negative for the virus and would undergo a medical examination before returning to competitive action. The former world number three lost in straight sets to Argentine Pedro Cachin in Marbella, in his first match since suffering a wrist injury at the 2021 Mallorca Open.

Read More – Jo-Wilfred Tsonga news: Frenchman announces retirement after Roland Garros

Berrettini, on the other hand, said that he did not want to compromise his recovery process and has decided to withdraw from the competition after consulting with his medical advisors. “Following advice from the medical experts, my team and I have decided that it is crucial I do not put time pressure on my recovery process,” the Italian said on Instagram.

“Withdrawing from these events, particularly Rome, was an extremely tough decision, however it is the right one to ensure many more years of competing at the highest level for the biggest trophies,” he added.

Read More – ATP Houston 2022: Taylor Fritz wins US Men’s Clay Court Championship debut

Tsonga announces retirement

Former world no. 5 and French tennis star Jo-Wilfred Tsonga has announced that the 2022 Roland Garros will be his last professional tennis competition. The Frenchman will compete at the clay-court Grand Slam for the 15th time in his career this year. The 36-year-old was one of the most entertaining players to watch in the late 2000s and early 2010s. His career-best ranking of fifth was achieved in 2012. Tsonga has played some classic matches against some of the greatest players of all time, especially against the big three. The Frenchman has won 18 ATP titles in his career so far. IN 2017, he helped France win their first Davis Cup in 16 years.

“It is with great emotion that I announce today my decision to stop my professional career at the next French Open. So many incredible moments, so much joy shared with a public that gave me a lot,” Tsonga wrote on social media. “Hoping for one last thrill with you!”




WRITTEN BY
Sportslumo Desk

What do you think about the Article? Tell us

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.




Related Post

HIGHLIGHTS

Buzzwords