Andy Murray will play in the Queen’s club tennis tournament in June this year, it was confirmed on Monday. The 33-year-old from Scotland has struggled with a litany of injuries in recent times. However, the three-time Grand Slam winner will be part of the tournament that serves as a build-up for Wimbledon. Other players confirmed by the tournament were Andy’s brother Jamie Murray, Bruno Soares and British number one Dan Evans.
The tournament was cancelled last year due to the coronavirus pandemic. This year, it will take place right after the French Open. To make things better, the matches will see crowds at up to 25% capacity.
Interestingly, Murray has won the ATP singles tournament five times. He is currently training in Rome and will also practice alongside world number 1 Novak Djokovic.
Murray is targetting a return fitness ahead of participating in Roland Garros, either in the qualifiers or through a wildcard.
Speaking on the development, Andy Murray said he was looking forward to playing in front of home fans again.
“It’s been a difficult time for everyone and it will be great to play in front of home fans in Britain again,” Murray said.
“The tournament at Queen’s has always meant a lot to me – it’s where I won my first ATP match, I’ve won the singles at Queen’s more than any other in my career, and I’ll never forget our doubles title in 2019.
“I can’t wait to get back out there.”
Evans, for his part, also expressed excitement at being able to play in front of fans.
“I know how lucky we’ve been to be able to still play the sport in recent months. It’s been a good year for me on court and I’m really looking forward to the grass over the next couple of months,” he said.
“It’s a surface I’ve always liked, and to be able to play at the Cinch Championships at Queen’s in front of British fans again will be brilliant.”