Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus were part of the 12 founding members of the proposed rebel league, which later collapsed.
UEFA began disciplinary proceedings against Barcelona, Juventus and Real Madrid over their involvement in the proposed breakaway European Super League. They were part of the 12 founding members of the rebel league, which later collapsed. The other clubs involved – Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester City, AC Milan, Inter Milan and Atletico Madrid – have since stepped back. They have also been punished by European football’s governing body for their involvement with ESL. But Barcelona, Juventus and Real Madrid have refused to do so.
Uefa said proceedings had been opened against the three “for a potential violation of Uefa’s legal framework”.
In a statement released on Tuesday, Uefa said: “Following an investigation conducted by Uefa ethics and disciplinary inspectors in connection with the so-called ‘European Super League’ project, disciplinary proceedings have been opened against Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus for a potential violation of Uefa’s legal framework.
“Further information will be made available in due course.”
UEFA had previously opened an investigation with regard to a potential violation of the governing body’s legal framework by the three clubs.
The nine clubs signed a Club Commitment Declaration with UEFA earlier this month. They have agreed to make a combined 15million euro goodwill contribution to benefit children’s and grassroots football programs across Europe. They will also have 5% of Uefa competition revenues withheld for one season in 2023-24. This money will be redistributed, including in the UK.
The clubs have also committed to Uefa and its competitions in the future. The clubs face fines of 100m euros apiece if they seek to join an unauthorised competition in the future. They will be fined half that if they breach any other terms of the declaration.
The three clubs not only failed to follow their lead but issued a joint statement standing by the prospective competition.
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez, who was appointed as chairman of the ESL, recently said that the 12 clubs that agreed to join the project have “binding contracts” and “cannot leave”.