With IndyCar, Ricciardo is 'mentally not there' and is set on an F1 role in 2023.

Despite remarks from Patricio O'Ward that he would like the US series after leaving the McLaren Formula 1 team, Daniel Ricciardo insists he has no desire in competing in IndyCar.

Daniel Ricciardo in a file photo. (Image: Twitter/McLaren)
By Mahaksh Chauhan | Nov 23, 2022 | 2 Min Read follow icon Follow Us

Ricciardo is expected to spend some time out of Formula 1 while he waits to see if a seat becomes available in 2024. He is expected to return to Red Bull Racing the following year in a position that may entail reserve and test work as well as promotional drives. He admitted that he desired a vacation from competition while explaining why he had chosen a non-racing position over a race seat over the Abu Dhabi weekend. However, he has left the possibility of a competitive appearance somewhere open, refusing to rule anything out when recently questioned about a Supercars cameo.

In Abu Dhabi for the first free practice, IndyCar veteran O’Ward, who will be driving for McLaren, suggested that Ricciardo would enjoy the US open-wheeler series. The Mexican remarked, “I did see online that he didn’t want to do ovals, which I appreciate. However, I believe he would adore it. Considering that Daniel loves America, I believe he would fit very well.

In response to O’Ward’s remarks, Ricciardo reaffirmed that, despite being a fan of IndyCar, his attention is still primarily on Formula 1. In his final race with McLaren on Sunday, Ricciardo finished ninth. “I had a lot of IndyCar drivers contact out and say like,’mate you would love it here,'” the Australian driver said. “They spoke highly of the series and were extremely enthused about it; I’m not saying I wouldn’t; the racing appears to be fantastic.

Read More- Russell: Mercedes ‘reality check’ came at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Fantasy ?

In October, when discussing the subject, Ricciardo said, “Ovals scare me,” and the notion of racing in America full-time was “more of a fantasy.” I enjoy it as a fan and spectator, so I do watch a lot of the races. “But let’s say, mentally, I just don’t feel like it right now. I still have thoughts of Formula 1 sometimes. “Ten years ago, I would have said yes,” he said. “I’m OK to admit that I’m not OK with ovals.” Ricciardo has had limited first-hand exposure to other categories during his time in F1, although has twice sampled Supercars hardware for promotional runs.