Ricciardo rejoins Red Bull as the third driver for F1 2023

Red Bull announced on Wednesday that Daniel Ricciardo will be the third driver for the team in the 2023 Formula 1 season.

Daniel Ricciardo in a file photo (Image: Twitter)
By Mahaksh Chauhan | Nov 24, 2022 | 2 Min Read follow icon Follow Us

Between 2014 and 2018, Ricciardo, an eight-time grand prix champion, competed for the team, earning seven of his eight victories there while twice coming in third in the world championship. He was left without a full-time seat on the grid for the upcoming season after his departure from McLaren was officially announced back in August. He will help Red Bull with testing, simulator work, and business endeavours. The smile says it all; I’m genuinely thrilled to be returning to Oracle Red Bull Racing as their Third Driver in 2023, Ricciardo said.

“I already have so many wonderful memories of my time here, but I must express my deep gratitude for Christian, Dr. Marko, and the entire staff for their warm welcome. “I personally find it very appealing to be able to contribute to and be around the best team in Formula One, while also getting some time to rest and refocus. “I am eager to join the team and provide assistance with simulator work, testing sessions, and business operations. Let’s move!

Motivation

The Australian claimed during the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend that he preferred to compete for a year without interruption by signing on to be Red Bull’s third Formula 1 driver for the following season. He reasoned that taking a break from the demanding nature of a racing season would also help him determine whether he had the will to want to compete again in 2024. Christian Horner, the team’s head coach, said: “It’s wonderful to welcome Daniel back into the Red Bull family. He is incredibly talented and has such a wonderful character that I know the entire factory is thrilled to have him back.

“Daniel will give us the chance to diversify in his capacity as test and third driver, contributing to the car’s development and assisting the Team with his experience and understanding of what it takes to succeed in Formula One. We are thrilled to be working with Daniel once more and are anticipating everything that he will bring to the Team in 2023. When Ricciardo joins Red Bull, he will be reunited with the team whose young driver programme he represented while in the junior ranks.

Read More – Abu Dhabi GP 2022: 5 Things we learned

Past

In their lone season with Red Bull, Ricciardo outperformed Sebastian Vettel, the current world champion, winning in Canada, Hungary, and Belgium. Daniil Kvyat succeeded Vettel at the end of the 2014 season; he remained in place for four races of the 2016 season until being replaced by Max Verstappen. Before leaving Red Bull with victory in China and Monaco in 2018, Ricciardo continued to win with the team in Malaysia in 2016 and Azerbaijan in 2017. Later, he admitted that he felt as though Red Bull had gravitated toward being Verstappen’s team and left for Renault. Before joining McLaren, he spent a further two years with the French manufacturer, enduring a difficult two seasons with the exception of his victory at Monza the previous year.