Leclerc thinks that Mercedes would 'absolutely' compete for the title in 2023

After a disappointing season in 2022, Mercedes will "absolutely" be in the title race the following year, according to Charles Leclerc of Ferrari.

Charles Leclerc in a file photo. (Image: Twitter)
By Mahaksh Chauhan | Dec 13, 2022 | 2 Min Read follow icon Follow Us

After experiencing porpoising issues with their W13 at the beginning of the season, Mercedes dropped to third in the constructors’ standings this year. With George Russell winning one race in Brazil, the team rebounded throughout the course of the season to join Red Bull and Ferrari at the top of the standings. Mercedes will participate in the fight, according to Leclerc. “We can see how much they have progressed since the first race. I believe they were aware of their mistakes. Typically, this indicates that things will move more smoothly. So perhaps the following bout will feature three teams. When asked if he preferred a duel over a three-way fight at the front of the field, Leclerc responded, “Of course.” But not only me, I believe everyone,” he added. “I think the drivers are pleased, because that’s when it gets fascinating,” says the driver, “the more cars are involved, the closer the cars are.”

The 2023 chassis homologation

Haas is the first team to formally homologate and announce that its 2023 chassis has passed the FIA crash safety test. Before their cars can be used in testing or racing, all teams must have the FIA properly homologate them. The VF-23’s chassis and nose have officially been homologated, according to a team post on social media, marking a key step in the development of our 2023 car. Bahrain will host the lone pre-season test for the 2019 Formula 1 season from February 23 through February 25.

Read More- Brother of Hamilton makes debut in Mercedes F1 simulator

Lawson to race Super Formula with Honda

Liam Lawson, a young Red Bull driver, has signed with the Honda-powered Mugen squad and will compete in the Super Formula championship the following year in 2023. Lawson, who raced in Formula 2’s previous two seasons, participated in three Friday practise sessions this year with Red Bull and AlphaTauri. The most recent preseason test at Suzuka saw him try a Super Formula car as well. Following in the footsteps of Pierre Gasly, Lawson is the newest Red Bull junior to transition from Formula 2 to the Japanese single-seater competition.